The Magistrate Courts of Victoria currently is quite a long and slow process. It deters people away from wanting to go down this route due to a few reasons. Either that is there is no Magistrate available or that it takes a very long time for the case to be heard and dealt with.
Don't get me wrong, this is a good thing and it means that there is role-play happening, means people are putting forward there sides and it is a great debate. Saying that though it becomes quite lengthy and drags often while waiting on evidence and people to attend for witness statements.
There are a few items that could be introduced that would speed up the Magistrate court and make it quite enjoyable for all parties to enjoy.
1. All court hearings last no longer than 15 minutes. 7 Minutes per side for discussion split into an Introduction, Rebuttal and a Closing. If an objection is thrown up, it can be spoken about in that parties time. This will then allow for more cases to be heard through the hour and allow for more people to come down.
2. All evidences must be ready before the hearing begins and must be sent to the Magistrate with a case number given at the court hearing starting. The Magistrate will then call said case number to the stands.
3. There could then be a number civilians can call if Lawyer's are online through the Scoreboard like the Taxi Service. They can then meet the client at the cells before heading the Magistrate. This will allow for all defendant/lawyer meetings to be done prior the courthouse.
4. Changing of names must be approved through the Magistrate.
5. Weddings and Divorces to be signed by the Magistrate.
Now obviously there are currently no cases at the court house. We could also make it mandatory that all sentences that would require a Jail sentence is to go to the Magistrate when they are in the city and available.
If anyone else has any other suggestions, put it below in the comments. Would love to hear it.