Sophie Troubles - appealing charges - GMT

Sophie Troubles

Question

Name: Sophie Troubles
Case against: VICPOL
Brief summary of situation: I was engaged in a situation that involved myself being victim to hit and run and discharge of a firearm. i was charged for discharge of a firearm in a public place which, was done in self defence, and then i sentenced to 40 weeks in the remand centre.
Expected outcome from court: removal of the false charge of discharge of a firearm
Extra Information/Requests: i would like bodycam footage from the officer/s on scene showing me riding away in fear of my life while being shot at, and the lack of communication from them while attempting to stop me 

1 answer to this question

Ms Troubles,

In the State of Victoria, self defense is not a lawful excuse. I understand how frustrating this can be, but officers are well within their right to still charge you. If you did not report that you fired your gun to 000, the charge of Public Discharge of a Firearm is a valid one. I always advise my clients that if they discharge their weapon (be it in self defense or accidental), to immediately call 000 and report it as well as remain on the scene to answer any questions. 

Regards,
Rosa Vidal
Registered Lawyer
Office of Legal Defence

Important Information

Please read the Terms of Use and Guidelines. Also be aware that we use We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. to help you on our forums.